As I looked around, I realized that I was the last woman standing. Many of the people I had taught with were gone, but with Mark’s practice we couldn’t pull up stakes and leave. We had to stay in in his home town. And boy did I become a target! Here are a few things I learned:
- I developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This was not due to one incident, but a culmination of many events—much of which was suppressed.
- I wasn’t a “slut or nut” like the school district tried to paint me.
- People will betray you.
- Colleagues will lie under oath.
- Your past will eventually surface. It can’t stay bottled up forever.
- It is best to get help as soon as possible.
- The Defense teams will try to break you.
- In order to truly move forward and cope you need valid professional help.