I am on the Oregon beach walking. The beach is huge and goes and goes. I can hear the sound of the waves. It is calm today, not crashing, and the sky’s blue. The sun is shining down on my head, and the sand is warm under my feet. I’m walking barefoot, and the sand is white and gritty. I walk along looking down at the seashells and the glistening sand where the tide has gone out. I hear the seagulls overhead. The temperature is just perfect. It’s about eighty-eight degrees. The sun feels hot; there is a light sea breeze. The smell of the ocean air is full of seaweed and sand. It smells good. To my left, the waves are breaking against the rocks. I walk into the surf up to my knees. Life is perfect. The day is perfect.
Today, create your safe place. Use your own location. It should be a favorite place with pleasant memories. In a quiet, private room, record your script and play it. If you want, add calm music (instrumental or sounds of the environment) that help taking you where you need to be. You can use mine if you like; just do this one unselfish task for yourself today.
Sit in a comfortable chair.
- Wiggle your toes and adjust your feet, arms, and back so you are completely comfortable.
- Take deep breaths to release all the tension.
- Tighten your left hand into a fist; then let go until limp.
- Tighten your right hand into a fist; then let go until limp.
- Tense your leg muscles; then let go until limp.
- Force a grin on your face; then let go until your face feels relaxed and limp.
- Enjoy the feeling of being limp throughout your entire body. Feel the relaxed heaviness as it takes over your entire body. Remain relaxed and quiet. Hear and see only the breathing.
- With every breath you take, allow yourself to go deeper and deeper into a state of looseness, agelessness, and limpness.
- Let all thoughts escape your mind.
- After the mind is cleared, begin to visualize yourself enjoying your life pain-free.
- Picture yourself as healthy and happy, full of zest and vibrant energy.
- See yourself as you go into an even deeper state of relaxation. Tell yourself that on the count of three you will emerge from this quiet state feeling wonderful and full of energy.
- Count aloud: one, two, and three.
- You are awake and refreshed.
“Undoubtedly, we become what we envisage.”
—Claude M. Bristol